Windows 10 Changing the background image in Windows 10 immediately reverts it to the solid color black

• Thread starter Thread starter TheDarioSmiles
  • Start date Start date
T

TheDarioSmiles

This morning I was trying to boot my PC but it got stuck on the boot screen so I force quit it and booted again successfully. After I logged both my screens had the same background image (which was not the way I left it). Also, yesterday I installed the update KB4100347 which apparently failed the first time (0x8024000b) but then worked. Also a few days ago I installed the update KB4464218 (which also apparently failed the first time (0x80070643)). I do not know if any of these are responisble for the following problem:

Now, after the second boot I opened the Settings>Personalization and right clicked on the image I want to set as my first background image and clicked on Set for Monitor 1. Immediately both monitors now had the solid color black set (the settings window changed to the solid color on its own). From this point on I was not able to set any image in the settings as clicking on any image from the last used ones immediately brought me to the solid colors and selected the black one. Rarely after a reboot I am able to set some low resolution images from my desktop as the background image but going back to the settings and trying to set my images reverts the background back to the solid color black. I can set any solid color I want and even slideshows (which do not get displayed, I can only see a black screen). At the path of the TranscodedWallpaper file and the slideshow.ini the files however change to show the selected images or the slideshow correctly.

This is some of what I tried/noted:

1. I use a registered version of Windows 10 Pro (Version 1803, Build 17134.286).

2. I use a local user profile. I do not use Sync.

3. I don't use or have ever used an application that changes backgrounds or tries to save energy/etc. which could be overwriting anything I set.

4. There are no Group Policies that have been altered by me or anybody.

5. My ease of access settings do not block the background image. Turning it off and on doesn't change anything.

6. I tried deleting the TranscodedWallpaper and emptying the slideshow.ini file. My folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes is also not hidden.

7. Power saving options do not block the setting of dektop backgrounds.

8. I have tried deleting registry keys like the ActiveDesktop at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies etc.

9. I can change the backgrounds when using different user profiles.

10. I am close to insanity by now.

Something I also noted after selecting an image in the settings is that my PC freezes for a moment before selecting the solid color. Additionally, opening the Background setting in the windows settings shortly freezes the PC as well.

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back