Windows 10 Chkdsk Running After Windows Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter brightspark70
  • Start date Start date
B

brightspark70

Windows 10 2004 (Build 19041.804)

I have three internal drives; 1 x SSD containing a Windows 10 2004 primary installation, another SSD containing an exact copy (clone) of the same Windows 10 2004 installation as a backup, and an HDD as a data drive. The two OSs are not set up in a dual boot, I use the F12 boot options to boot into each OS individually. The system is always running perfectly prior to installing updates but very time I install updates Windows wants to run chkdsk. If I then allow chkdsk to run it really messes up the whole installation and I have to restore a system image backup.

This happened again very recently immediately after installing updates. I checked all drives for dirty bits, all clean. System File Checker found zero integrity violations. I opened an elevated command prompt and input the command to prevent chkdsk from running but after a reboot it tried to run again anyway. So, this time, I simply restored a system image backup immediately - created just prior to installing the updates - and everything was back to normal, no more chkdsk. Proving that this issue must be caused by the updates.

I am now at the stage where I am extremely hesitant about installing any more updates.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Continue reading...

Back