Windows 10 Clipboard History crashes after Windows update

• Thread starter Thread starter LeventeZilahi
  • Start date Start date
L

LeventeZilahi

Clipboard history stopped working after the latest Windows update (I don't know which one, company controls the update).

It just starts with a transparent window, with the cursor showing somethings loading, and then it disappears. Sometimes It shows the window properly for like 0.4 sec, but without any history content.

In the past year, Clipboard History became my swiss army knife when it comes to filling out forms, and I rely on it heavily now when working.

Tried every possible way that was mentioned before.

1. Turning on-off
  2. Clearing the history data
  3. Messing with registry
  4. Messing with the group policy editor
  5. Doing random and useless checks with command line tools (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth)
  6. Restarting explorer

Because it's a company device, I can not switch to a new account.

Last time this happened I was able to make it work by tracking the exact location on the disk where it saves the copied content, and fully deleting that folder. Then after a few restarts, enabling and disabling, clearing the history from the settings menu, restarting explorer it started to work again, but I would rather not delete my pinned history elements as they're important (yes, I shouldn't have trusted it).

Any usable advice? I want to solve the problem, not bypass it.

It is something to do with the windows update and the user account (as it still works on new account according to many others). Could this might be a problem with the ClipBoard History being updated with the windows update, and not being able to work with previous database (for Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml, I got the error message back, the the installed app versions are higher).

My other guess is that it has something to do with file indexing.

Continue reading...