Windows 10 Computer Browser Service Fails To Start Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter Shaun4BigBlocks
  • Start date Start date
S

Shaun4BigBlocks

Hello,

Around December 2019 I installed Windows on a new hard disk, Windows had been running fine for years, but part of my DoD contract with the military stated that I had to let them wipe my hard drive upon separation as it was loaded with sensitive certificates ect.

Fast forward, and I re-installed Windows 10 Pro. As you probably know, newer versions of windows silently added the wonderful "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" feature automatically ticked on- nice, but not really...

Anyways, I was up and running fine until the feature deleted my "SMB 1,0?CIFS File Sharing Support". Granted, Microsoft is acknowledging the security risks of SMB1, but unfortunately everyone and their brother knows that Windows Networking is inconsistent with only SMB Direct.

So, I was able to re-add the SMB1 features, but after doing so no matter what I do I am unable to get the "Computer Browser" service to start. It doesn't matter if you have it set for "Automatic" or "Automatic (Trigger Start)" it won't start. And yes, manually starting fails also with the error "Windows could not start the Computer Browser service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system could not find the file specified".

Both service dependencies required by "Computer Browser" ("Server" and "Workstation") are running great. I REALLY need a fix for this.

I tried (after fighting all of the permission hurdles and then setting them back) manually replacing the path to the executable "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p" from a known, healthy computer running Windows 10 Pro without success.

Please don't tell me to purchase a subscription to Onedrive, or tell me to run "sfc /scannow". I have already ran "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" followed by "sfc /scannow" without success (as if that has ever worked for anyone in the past...).

Oh, I should probably add, yes everything I try is being implemented in both administrative accounts and within the built in "Administrator" root level access account.

Thanks,

Shaun

Continue reading...

Back