Windows 10 Computer randomly shuts off and it does not appear to be overheating or the PSU

• Thread starter Thread starter BenA580
  • Start date Start date
B

BenA580

Over the last couple of months my windows computer has been randomly shutting down. This typically occurs during the original loading of relatively simple games (examples include League of Legends, Divinity Original Sin 2, Civilization VI, and Stratechery and occur after it first launches into full screen.) It does occasionally occur during the actual playing of the game put to a significantly lesser degree. Interestingly it has also occurred twice while the only apps I had open were outlook or chrome.

I have gone through the following steps to try and figure out the issue.

1) Reviewing the event viewer and reliability history to figure out what is causing the shutdown -- all signs point towards an instantaneous shutdown, likely cause by overheating or power issues.

2) Attempting to "stress" the computer through CPU, GPU, and RAM stress tests (independently then simultaneously) have not managed to recreate the shutdown. Temperature of other components never exceeds 72 degrees C.

3) Moving the unit to a different outlet at a separate location plus changing the power cord and I was still able to recreate the event after enough time.

4) Submitting a PSU warranty request that was instantly accepted. Unfortunately after installing the new PSU the shutdown was able to be recreated.

5) Recreating the shutdown while observing the temperature of computer components through AIDA 64 and NZXT CAM. Right before the most recent shutdown the highest temperature on a component was 47 degrees C.

6) Updating windows and all of the drivers. I was still able to recreate the shutdown.

I am at a loss for what is wrong. In fact, while writing this in chrome (the only app open) after a fresh restart, my computer randomly shutdown.

Computer specs are available below.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X-2

GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080ti

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran 750W 80Plus Gold

Motherboard: Asus TUF Z370-Plus Gaming

Any other information is available upon request.

Continue reading...

Back