Windows 10 Computer Stuttering After Windows 10 Update

• Thread starter Thread starter N A Cost
  • Start date Start date
N

N A Cost

I've been having an issue lately (by lately I mean the past 5 months) concerning stuttering I've been experiencing with my desktop PC. Ever since I "upgraded" from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my PC has been stuttering like Professor Quirrell. It stutters when I'm using any Microsoft Office application, it stutters when I'm playing games, it stutters when I'm not doing anything, and it even stuttered as I was concocting this very thread. In games, my FPS drops drastically until it looks like a powerpoint, and in other applications, it simply stops, freezes, then immediately executes whatever commands I was trying to apply in the 2 or 3 seconds it was frozen. It's complete madness, and I am totally at my wit's end.

Allow me to share my PC specs first before I elaborate on what remedies I've attempted:

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, build 19042.685
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77M-D3h

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

PSU: Not sure about the model, but I know it's 550W and that's pretty much all that matters regarding this component anyways
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V100 256GB SATA II 3GB/s 2.5 Inch Solid State Drive SV100S2/256GZ

HDD: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5 Inch, not sure what exact version but it shouldn't matter that much since it's brand-spanking new!

If there's any other parts I forgot, or excluded (such as my peripherals, device ID, product ID, and case, which likely matter not), please let me know.

Now, onto what I've actually attempted in order to remedy my issue:
- I've checked the RAM to make sure it wasn't overclocked
- Had my HDD replaced with what I currently have, and checked both my HDD and SSD for errors and bad sectors, of which none were found
- Checked and cleaned my registry with CCleaner and manually; I've messed with directories and HKEYS I never even knew existed
- Disabled Game DVR or GameBar, whatever it's called, as well as Ansel from NVIDIA's GeForce Experience program and any other recording programs
- I've disabled Superfetch and Diagnostic Policy Services
- I've updated my GPU and mouse's drivers
- I've checked my display drivers and network adapter drivers
- I disabled dynamic tick
- I updated my motherboard's chipset drivers
- I ran the netsh winsock reset command
- Messed with having V-Sync on/off
- Tried running games on my SSD instead of my HDD
- Cleared out half the space on my HDD (about 1 TB) and half the space on my SSD (about 130 GB)

- Ran Malwarebytes, Avast, and yes, even Windows Defender to check for malware and viruses (which, by the way, I have not been exposed to in over 12 years)

- Capped CPU performance at 99% because of the "Intel Turbo Boost" deal

I've done just about literally everything short of going to the almighty Mr. Bill Gates himself in regards to this stuttering conundrum. My local computer shop guys couldn't help, my friend who's also all about computers couldn't help, and I simply have no idea anymore on what the issue is, how to fix it, or what it could even be.

All I know is that on that one fateful day on June 11th, 2020, I updated my computer's OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, foolishly believing the worst couldn't possibly happen, but then EVERYTHING CHANGED FOREVER. I humbly beseech you, random Microsoft support person, wherever you are, and whenever you read this, to please aid me in whatever manner you can and to the fullest extent you are able and allowed. Help me Microsoft support person, you're my only hope.

Sincerely (and also Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, & Happy Holidays),

N A Cost

Continue reading...