Windows 10 Created a GPT Partition disk while plugged into usb

• Thread starter Thread starter _Direkt
  • Start date Start date
D

_Direkt

I had gotten a new hard drive in preparation to replace an old one that had been slowing down, and getting closer to the end of it's life. When i made the original partition table, i had selected GPT, not knowing what would happen afterwards.
I transferred everything from the old disk to the new, as well as some files from another disk, to keep all my games in the same place. so now the total size of the disk is more than the old one.
As soon as i insert this new drive into the computer through the sata connectors, and boot the computer up, the disk does not even show up, and when i look into disk management, it just shows up at "GPT Protected Partition" It's my disk!! that's my data!!! why can't I access it?! I've tried to use Ease US to change the partitioning table over to MBR so i could at least see the dang thing, but it says that it can't convert it because the target disk is more than 2 TB. (it's a 4 TB Disk, the old one was 1 TB.)
I really need some help, because i can't just move everything over again, that's going to take a whole day to get done, and not to mention, i don't want to move everything back over to the nearly dead drive just in case it decides to up and kill itself while i'm transferring things back and forth.
To summarize:
Replaced OLD 1 TB disk with 4 TB.
Created the GPT Partition table on the 4 TB drive when it was connected through USB. The old drive was still in the computer.
Transferred everything over through USB
Upon insertion of the 4 TB drive, Windows refuses to read the disk, claiming it's GPT Protected.
I cannot move everything back, no more room and i do not want the old drive to die in the middle of it.

Continue reading...