Windows 10 Creators Fall Update (1709) failed to install on a PC with a SSD system drive and user profiles located on D: HDD

• Thread starter Thread starter Dmitry.Zh
  • Start date Start date
D

Dmitry.Zh

During upgrade process, system copies some (not all) %USERPOFILE% folders located on drive D:\Users to folder C:\$Windows.~BT\NewOS\Users\.

It fails, considering that affected folders on drive D: have more than 2Tb of data while system drive C: has less than 250Gb.

I did some additional research and found that “normal” profiles were not affected. System copies following folders only:

- -“Broken” user profile. Sometimes ago, user profile of USER1 was corrupted. I made a copy of all files in a folder D:\Users\USER1.OLD, then deleted user1 and created new one. After that, I restored all data from D:\Users\USER1.OLD to D:\Users\USER1, but kept USER1.OLD folder.

- -“Public” folder with huge volume of data.

- -“Default” folders

I have same problem on my two PC with different configuration:

- One platform is Intel based with Core i7 CPU, system SSD 250Gb and D: drive 4TB

- Another platform is AMD based with A8 CPU, system HDD 1Tb and D: drive 2Tb

Both PC has the same Windows 10 Pro 64 version 1703 (15063.936)

Windows on both PC is configured in a way, that user profiles are located on drive D:. And both contains a lot of data in D:\User\Public folder, much more bigger than volume of system drive C:

I’ve already tried to implement all common recommendations:

-Upgrade from clean boot

-System image restore with DISM command

-Windows Updater troubleshooter

However, problem is not solved.

Continue reading...

Back