Windows 10 Dealing with extreme lag after a Windows 10 upgrade

• Thread starter Thread starter John Ec
  • Start date Start date
J

John Ec

Good day everyone. I have been a holdout in upgrading to Windows 10 but recently decided to bite the bullet and do it. The upgrade process itself seemed to go smoothly. Immediately after upgrading, my programs seemed to work fine and all was well. The first sign of trouble came the next day after I had my computer turned off. Once on, most anything I opened seemed to lag. The only exception being Chrome or any other browser worked fine. I work in Excel most days and trying to navigate a spreadsheet was painful. I would click in one cell and then try to click in another but it would not respond. Strangely, if I moved my mouse cursor away from the spreadsheet (to one of my other two monitors), it would complete the move. The lag was not isolated to Excel though. Even pulling up a resource monitor would take a while to respond. I was so desperate the other day to get Excel working, I went to the store to purchase Office 2016 to upgrade from my 2010. When I got back and was preparing to install it, I noticed that everything was working fine again and the lag had gone away! The next day though, it was the same thing again.

It does not appear to be a resource issue. At least not something I can see visually. CPU stays at about 1% and memory uses less than 30% of the 16 GB available. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow this down. I'm no tech expert but I can probably follow any basic instructions. Btw, I have checked to make sure all of my hardware and software is up to date. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back