Windows 10 Deploy Printer on network using local group policy (Windows 10 Pro Laptop)

• Thread starter Thread starter PrashantDesaiHN
  • Start date Start date
P

PrashantDesaiHN

I am trying to deploy a printer that is connected to my laptop via USB. I am trying to use local group policy to accomplish this. I have done the following in the admin account:

1) Connected the printer Cannon MG3500 to my laptop and installed the drivers.

2) Shared this printer on my home network which is of type Private.

3) I see the printer connected in my admin account.

Now my laptop has three non-admin users; Test, Test1 and Test2. I want to deploy this printer only to Test and Test1 users. Test2 should not be able to install the printer drivers and use them.

Now, while logged in as admin, I open group policy editor and make sure that the following setting are enabled:

In the approved servers I am defining the print server that I created on my laptop (\\x.x.x.x\printer_name)

I verified that network discovery and file and printer sharing is turned on for private network.

Now I can deploy the printer for the whole computer in the GPO local computer policy and the printer gets deployed, no problem.

When I try to go deploy the printer in the GPO Local Computer\Test Policy (Test user policy) it always shows the printer status pending, I don't know why.

So does this mean that I can deploy the printer, I have to deploy it for the whole computer and cannot do it for specific users? (non-admin)

Also I tried deploying the printer using print management, right-click on the printer and select deploy with group policy. This did not work as well.

I am trying to do this on a laptop that is running Windows 10 Pro and is not connected to a DC.

Can someone please help me with my dilemma ?

Thank you

Prashant Desai

Continue reading...

Back