Windows 10 Desktop shortcuts keep changing positions after changing which display is main or launching a game in ful screen thats lower resolution. How to fix?

• Thread starter Thread starter JaanusS
  • Start date Start date
J

JaanusS

I have 2 displays in extended configuration (windows 10 pro).

1080p display in 100% scaling and 4K display in 150% scaling.

Auto arrange icons is disabled.

The setup is new. Used to only have the 1080p display but I had the same issue a long time ago. I fixed it a while ago by editing some keys in registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration had a key for simulated display that I changed to match the 1080p settings I found under an other key.

Now that I added the second display, more keys appeared including a second key for simulated that was configured for 1024*768. I changed that according to the key that had 4k configuration. copied every key besides resolution too.

The icons on the 4K display still keep moving to the top left corner after I set it to be the main/primary display or after I play a game in a lower resolution than 4K. The 1080p display doesn't have that issue.

I installed a program called desktop restore. It adds an option to the desktop context menu to save and restore icon positions but its annoying to constantly have to use it and I'm bound to forget to save at some point or click save instead of restore.

Continue reading...

Back