Windows 10 Device manager; how to select a preferred frequency band

• Thread starter Thread starter MariliseWolf
  • Start date Start date
M

MariliseWolf

I use a dual band 5Ghz and 2.4GHz Fritz.box WiFi router, which works perfectly well with my new HP desktop and other devices. With my new ASUS VivoBook Windows 10 laptop however, only downloading works well, while uploading with the WiFi doesn’t! Printing, sending emails, and banking is so slow that that the connection always times out. This corresponds to WiFi upload speeds of 0.00 – 0.04 Mbps on Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test . The summary of radio network connections on the router says that both my desktop and the ASUS VivoBook use the 5 GHz frequency band, while all my other devices use the 2.4 GHz band. Speedtesting the ASUS on my neighbour's WiFi router – also a dual band one – gives exactly the same result for uploading.

The ASUS was sent for repairs twice; it worked when it came back, but only for a short time, until OS updates came along. In the MediaMarkt shop where I bought it, the WiFi upload test works fine, but that’s not the same technical setup as at home. My IP (Post.lu) says my router is new and powerful enough, and since all my other devices (smart phone, tablet, telephone, 2 printers and occasional laptops of my guests) work perfectly well with this router, the problem must lie with the ASUS laptop. My IP suggests changing the WiFi preferred band to 2.4GHz, but the advanced network adapter options on the ASUS don't even show "Preferred band". The same screen comes up when I try to switch to this band to make my ASUS into a WiFi hotspot. Where can I change the preferred frequency band?? See below the screenshot I find on the Internet of how the screen should look.

Versus what I have on my ASUS laptop – I don’t have a choice of changing the preferred band:

What can I do? Insist on a new laptop, or is there any other solution? The message I get when I try to update the Qualcomm wireless driver is that I have the most recent one. I’ve also disabled the firewall and the anti-virus program, but that didn’t fix the problem.

Continue reading...

Back