Windows 10 Diagnostic Policy Service not running - Error 13: The data is invalid [Windows 10]

• Thread starter Thread starter RayBeeze
  • Start date Start date
R

RayBeeze

As the title suggests, the Diagnostic Policy Service is not running and when trying to start it the following error occurs:

It is a standalone PC and I am the Administrator.

Having browsed around there was mention of this registry key - Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters not having correct permissions.

• Administrators group, mpssvc and TrustedInstaller all have Full Control & Read permissions.

I have also done this:

• net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
  • net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

I have run sfc - no issues detected

I have uninstalled the Network Device (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller) and then allowed Windows to "find new hardware" and reinstall it. Windows reports it is using the latest driver.

My network adapter is working fine, I only realised this service wasn't running after experiencing an (unrelated) network issue and I tried to use the Diagnostic tool.

Examining the event log, the problem started to occur on January 16th 2020... which is the same date that KB4528760 (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 systems) was installed. Not much else in the event log .. Event ID is 7000 and the Event Id qualifier is 49152.

Windows is currently up to date - no pending updates according to Windows Update tool. [1909 Pro Build 18363.836]

Thanks in advance all, I'd love to fix this if at all possible :-) for when the day comes that I need it !

Ray

Continue reading...

Back