Windows 10 Dial up modems on Windows 10 cannot be soft modems.

• Thread starter Thread starter fxcograd
  • Start date Start date
F

fxcograd

Some programming in Windows 10 (ver. 1809) appears to have changed from Windows 7 to prohibit soft modems from accessing resources to operate. I have a 10 year old Lenovo core duo 2GB memory with a 80 gig HD that operated perfectly well on Windows 7 for years to allow dial up to netzero. My original modem was a USB connected USR soft modem. I upgraded the same computer to windows 10 (32 bit) and the modem refused to connect. The modem would go through handshake three times without connecting before timing out. I ditched and reinstalled the USR manufacturer drivers multiple times, tried every setting change and command prompt change in this forum and also fix suggestions in any other support forum I could find. Same result. No connect. I was able to buy a USB connected Zoom modem with the controller onboard (NOT soft modem) from my local computer store . After setting up the driver per manufacturer recommendations for Win 10- Bingo! I have reliable dial up connection. For those trying to use dial up on Win 10 and having problems, the problem may be your modem hardware.

Continue reading...

Back