Windows 10 Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK

• Thread starter Thread starter MuzzaB91
  • Start date Start date
M

MuzzaB91

I have 3 HDDs and have each formatted with 2 partitions: OS and data, 500 GB in each partition.

I wanted to increase the size of the data partition by 300 GB for one of the HDDs (something I have done before with no trouble). I decreased the size of the OS partition (which as expected left an unassigned 300 GB space) then increased the size of the data partition by using that space. It gave me the following in Disk Management:

Disk 1: 100 MB Healthy EFI | F: 200 GB (Healthy) | G: 300 GB (Healthy) | G: 500 GB (Healthy)

I thought that was odd to have 2 "G" drives, but in Explorer -> "This PC" it appeared as a single G: drive of 800 GB and worked just fine (files were present and I could copy new files to it).

A day or so later, after booting, CHKDSK ran for many hours (about 6), repairing thousands of lost fragments and setting thousands of indexes.

After all that, the G: partition disappeared entirely, and it now has the following in Disk Management:

Disk 1: 100 MB Healthy EFI | F: 1000 GB (Healthy)

Of course, all the data files have disappeared and "This PC" says there are about 840 GB free of 1000 GB.

I ran a SMART analysis and it reports there is nothing wrong with the actual disk.

DISKPART gives the following for that disk:

DISKPART> select disk 1​

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.​

DISKPART> list partition​

Partition ### Type Size Offset​

------------- ---------------- ------- -------​

Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB​

Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 101 MB​

Partition 3 Primary 931 GB 229 MB​

Of course I'd like to get the partition back and restore the files, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.

Continue reading...