Windows 10 Display from graphics cards not working and related windows incompatibilty issues with drivers

• Thread starter Thread starter TheCheddar
  • Start date Start date
T

TheCheddar

So recently I have encountered numerous issues involving display adapters, driver incompatibilities, black screens etc...

tl dr at the bottom with specs:

If I had to think of when it started, it was in November last year where I would just not have any display through my gpu (at this point in time it was HIS RX 470 4GB) when booting my computer. After a few restarts it would work and be fine for a week or so until the issue repeats. Initially I thought it was my gpu because I've been using it non-stop since 2016, so a month ago it just stops completely. I work on multiple monitors(luckily) so I ran the system through my mb. Uninstalling, reinstalling drivers, old and new... but nothing seemed to work. (Card was posting but blank on log in)

After countless attempts, I switched to a GTX 1050ti that I'm borrowing from a sibling. Plugged it in, posted on boot, installed driver, restarted and everything seemed to be back to normal until a month later...(in Feb 2020)

The same @#$% thing started again. I repeated the above-mentioned procedure but started getting issues like NVidia drivers not compatible with windows version (on any driver I downloaded) tried updating windows and noticed its stuck on version 1903 even though the November update has been out for some time. After (I don't want to know how many) some troubleshooting forums and posts nothing seemed to work. I reinstalled windows even after downloading the newest Microsoft Installation tool on a boot drive took it about a dozen restarts and update checks it finally updated to 1909 where the Nvidia drivers still gave me the prompt that it is not compatible with the current windows version. At this point I went back to my RX 470 and guess what it worked again.... for about 2 days where my first issue started.

Went back to the GTX 1050ti where for some odd reason the drivers installed (maybe a fix on Nvidia or Windows drivers who knows). This worked but have been having weird screen flashes both in-game and on the desktop. This bring us to the present. With my current complaints.

• Occasional reinstall of Nvidia drivers prompting its incompatible with Windows version
  • On my desktop through my second monitor I Right-Click and try accessing Nvidia Control panel where it prompts no device present
  • In Device manager in Display Adapters both Intel HD Graphics 520 and GTX 1050ti are present and enabled, with no hdmi signal on gpu output from screen, to where the weirdest thing is happening. When gpu is enabled the mouse cursor only moves on second monitor with blank screen on the main screen. If I disable the gpu in Device Manager the mouse cursor can move to "imaginary" screen where the main monitor would display but still blank. This even happens when I disconnect the monitor completely(no hdmi plugged in no power at all) but windows display adapter thinks there is a "second" to the one outputting from the mb.

Please any advice would greatly be appreciated...

P.S. I am going to replace my psu to a 700W(want to upgrade system soon) because colleagues have suggested that the current is old and faulty so this could be the issue which I hope is the case will keep updated...

TL DR:

No display from GPU output. After uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and windows as well, the system would work for a small period of time and then repeat the issues. This is the case with both AMD and Nvidia GPU's. I have a feeling that its something to do with the current updates to Windows. Both brands drivers gave prompts to incompatibility issues with Windows version and system stubburn and refusing to update to the latest patches. My current issues is highlighted in the bullets in the above mentioned post.

Specs:

Monitor 1 DELL 27 inch brand new basically (output from GPU) with 5m brand new HDMI cable

Second monitor AOC 19 inch about 2 years old (output from MB) on VGA output

i5-6600k standard clocks

2x8GB G.SKill Ram

Gigabyte B150M-DDR4 (yes i know)

HIS RX 470 4GB (First GPU to have problem)

EVGA GTX 1050ti (currently installed)

Continue reading...

Back