Windows 7 Driver update problem (freezes and bluescreens)

• Thread starter Thread starter Тарас Дубинин
  • Start date Start date
Т

Тарас Дубинин

I have a problem in two parts, but I suspect they are related. I use Windows 7.

First. When I start the system, I get a notification that a driver is updating (SATAFIRM S11 ATA Device, which is my system SSD drive), and then a prompt to restart to apply changes. If I restart, BIOS reacts like the system just crashed and suggests safe mode. Starting the system again, the same update notification appears again, and the cycle continues. Selecting safe mode changes nothing.

If I open the device in device manager, it says that it's working correctly and requires a restart to apply changes. Driver version is 6.1.7601.19133. There's no option to roll back.

Second. If I don't restart, after several minutes most background programs (such as Discord, Telegram, Steam, anti-virus software, torrent client, and explorer) start closing with error messages - they all have the same error type in advanced info, although I forgot what type it was (I can look it up if it's important). Remaining applications, such as the browser, usually start lagging a lot, and eventually a blue screen of death appears. The BSoD is always different - I've noticed IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with win32.sys, and something similar to "attempt to modify system files". Safe mode actually helps in this case - there's no closing programs, no slowdown, and no BSoD.

The problems started yesterday's night, when I got slowdown and a BSoD as I was about to shut down for the day. I restarted and it happened again, but I think there was no driver notification back then (although I might just have missed it). The only significant thing I did yesterday was installing Skype from official site.

I've done a virus check (no results) and a system file check (sfc /scannow, check 100% complete but then "can't perform requested operation"). I've looked at my startup list in CCleaner, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't have anything unknown.

Continue reading...

Back