Windows 7 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE ntoskrnl.exe + crash of NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

• Thread starter Thread starter Nzz11
  • Start date Start date
N

Nzz11

Hello,

I use Windows 7 64 bit Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1. I have a DELL laptop (Inspiron 17R SE 7720) with two GPUs Inter(R) HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz. 8GB RAM. For the past few months after I turn on the laptop after around 15 minutes (always approximately the same time after starting the system) I keep getting this BSOD with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE caused by ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe (almost all the time the reason is ntoskrnl.exe).

On Sat 20.02.2021 21:17:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022021-33353-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x93EA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800A000A10, 0xFFFFF80000B9E428, 0xFFFFFA800CF62AF0)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Event log states critical error with Kernel-Powel code 41 task (63). I also noticed that right after these crashes my discrete GPU disappears from Device Manager. After that without this NVIDIA GPU I can use the computer for the entire day but it lags a lot. Then I turn it off at night, the next morning the situation with BSOD repeats. There were days when I ran it and everything worked very fast with no BSOD. During these times I tried not to turn my laptop off for a weeks and it worked perfect. But after a couple of weeks it usually didn't go out of sleeping mode properly (laptop wakes up but the screen remains dark) so I had to reboot it and get these BSODs again.

I deleted all the drivers for both Intel and NVIDIA GPUs using DDU and then installed them again from DELL website. Also I updated all the drivers for chipset and etc from there. I checked memory and it is ok. I checked SSD and HDD they are also fine. Used /scannow and it didnt show any errors. Checked the viruses with cureit and didn't find any. The problem remained. Then I took out the battery and noticed that problem was suddenly solved (for one day) and I stopped getting any BSOD. After that in order to check my NVIDIA GPU I started to play Tomb Raider 2013 with high graphics and it worked perfectly, but my 3D modeling programs started to crash with error "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. Error code: 2". After that crashes NVIDIA GPU was showing 99% load constantly. When I tried to reboot the laptop, it couldn't turn off so I had to turn it off with holding power button.

After one day BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE with NVIDIA GPU disappearing also came back again. I checked unsigned drivers with verifier.exe. Only igdkmd64.sys (Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver) and intcdaud.sys (Intel(R) Display Audio Driver) are unsigned. So I tried to disable Driver Signature Verification and it didn't help. I also changed stuff like PCI Express in Power settings to maximum performance, also didn't help. System Diagnostics perfmon.exe shows one error related to Bluetooth RFBUS from TOSHIBA (error "52"), Windows can not update it automatically with Update center and also shows error. msinfo32 states this Bluetooth RFBUS from TOSHIBA as a device with problems. I couldn't find any drivers for it even though I use bluetooth mouse and it works fine.

I would really appreciate if you help me with that problem. Thank you.

Link for 3 recent minidump files: minidumps.zip

Continue reading...