Windows 10 Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

• Thread starter Thread starter David P. Vancouver
  • Start date Start date
D

David P. Vancouver

I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Everything was working well until I added an HDMI electronic switch between the computer and the HDTV (So I can connect other video sources; the HDTV has just 2 HDMI inputs and one is taken by my cable TV box. everything else goes through the HDMI switch).

I frequently use the display mode of "Extend these monitors" for applications like ZOOM, but always set the displays to "Show only on the Lenovo monitor" before I shut down. Since I have introduced the switch, I get strange and inconsistent behaviour when I boot the PC. Some of the time, Windows tries to run on the HDTV monitor, even if it is not powered on. If I do have both the Lenovo monitor and the HDTV on and the PC decides to boot to the HDTV, I see the Windows logo, but then Windows seems to revert to the Lenovo monitor. The problem is that in this mode, the Lenovo monitor is in some kind of super-magnified mode, where I can see just a few extra large icons and no taskbar. I can't use windows at all. The only way out seems to be to power off the PC and then power it back on, until it boots into a normal state.

How can I get my PC to always boot to the Lenovo monitor?

Continue reading...

Back