Windows 10 DVDs Won't Play Past Menu (no matter the DVD software)

• Thread starter Thread starter ComatoseLaptop
  • Start date Start date
C

ComatoseLaptop

Some DVDs play just fine on my computer, but many refuse to play anything beyond the menu. It'll take me to the main menu, then when I click on anything, it tries to play the content for a brief moment then returns me to the main menu. Other DVDs don't play at all (typically ones without main menus).

I've tried this in VLC Media Player (including the latest nightly build) and several other DVD players and the same thing happens. My disc drive also has no problem using CDs. Thus it must be a problem with the operating system, not the DVD software or the disc drive.

Resetting the Preferences had no effect. Disabling "Start directly in menu" in the preferences either results in no playback or (on rare occasions) the following error message repeated every few seconds: "DVDRead could not read 1/4 blocks at 0x05"

I wonder if it has something to do with me going from the US to the UK and changing my Region settings for a semester (I had no DVD troubles before the move). If so, I must be missing some advanced setting or something because the system settings say everything's back to US Region.

Help would be extremely appreciated!!

Specs:

Windows edition: Windows 10 Home

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer Inc.

Model: G751-JL

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Continue reading...

Back