Windows 10 Ethernet connections lost after Windows updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Chem_Engineer
  • Start date Start date
C

Chem_Engineer

Today I ran Windows Update on two of my PCs: a DELL Win10 and a HP Win8.1. When updates were finished and the two PCs restarted, Windows reported "Unidentified Network No internet access". Both PCs are connected to my router via CAT5 ethernet cables. On each PC, I ran the Windows Network Diagnostics. In both cases, the Diagnostic reported "...unable to automatically fix all of the issues" and " 'Ethernet' does not have a valid configuration NOT FIXED"

All other devices connected to my router are working fine. Another Windows laptop, that was NOT updated, still has connectivity via its ethernet CAT5 connection; I can log into my router's utility @ 192.168.1.1 and see that all is well, except that the two updated PCs are no longer in the connected devices list. Also, the internet is accessible on that PC that was NOT updated, so this is not an ISP issue.

Both troubled PCs had working ethernet connections just before running Windows Update. After updating, neither does.

Also, yet another PC, an ethernet-connected Apple Mac, has fully functional networking.

I believe that the network failures on the two updated Windows PCs are directly attributed to the latest updates I just installed.

How to I get my ethernet connections working again on the updated PCs? (And just to be clear, this is NOT A WIFI ISSUE.)

Continue reading...