Windows 10 Ethernet Connetion to my Desktop keeps dropping and reconnecting as of sometime this morning

• Thread starter Thread starter mukyuun
  • Start date Start date
M

mukyuun

For some reason, my Ethernet connection from our modem to my desktop has been constantly disconnecting every minute or so since sometime this morning. It was stable before today, but it started acting up and I've been searching for all kinds of things to try and fix it, but none have worked so far.

So far, I've tried:

Network Reset

Troubleshooter(doesn't detect anything wrong, unless the connection is down, in which case it tells me to plug in a cable...)

Installing new drivers for my ethernet controller (Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller)

Uninstalling my VPNs(nordVPN)

Fiddling with the power saving settings for the Ethernet controller

Adjusting the Speed and Duplex setting for the ethernet controller. This seemed give us something stable when setting it to 10Mbps Half Duplex instead of Auto Negotiation, but the actual connection was unacceptably slow(going from >400mbps down to <10).

All manner of dns flushes through the cmd prompt.

Disabling the network connections other than the ethernet one

I'm at my wit's end here. Am I really looking at a straight up hardware problem? I have tried plugging the same ethernet cable into a laptop and have not noticed drops there, and I don't see hiccups happening when connecting through the wireless connection(again, with the laptop, my desktop does not have a wireless card becuase I haven't needed one)

Not sure if it's a clue, but previously, my internet connection was stable and my Spotify app couldn't connect to the internet. Now it's terribly unstable but my spotify app can see the internet....

Continue reading...

Back