Windows 7 Event IDs: WHEA logger (18, 19), HAL (12), kernel processor power (37) and problems...

• Thread starter Thread starter NP28
  • Start date Start date
N

NP28

HP Pavilion dv6610eg

2 weeks ago I:

- cleaned my notebook and renewed thermal material (thermal paste and thermal pads)
- replaced the HDD with a Samsung 128GB SSD: I can only use it in IDE mode, because the BIOS has no option for switching to SATA AHCI
- removed the DVD drive (I did not replace it)
- renewed the USB/power connector board (HP spare part number is 449454-001)
- renewed the external PSU with a universal notebook PSU

I did not re-install Windows 7 after these changes, but just cloned the HDD to the SSD.
Then it has worked for 2 weeks without any problems.
The temperature of CPU, GPU and chipset are below 80° even under heavy load, that is less than before.

A few days ago suddenly the notebook froze with a black screen when shutting down, switching to standy or hibernation. After some minutes a blue screen "driver failure power state" appeared.

I hoped this problem was only caused by not re-installing Windows 7 after the hardware changes.
Hence I re-installed Windows 7 and the driver from the NVIDIA website for NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/ nForce 630.
I also tried the driver provided on the HP Pavilion dv6610eg website. The problem still existed. However, the BSOD did not appear again.

Then I removed the battery from the notebook and inserted it again and shutting down, ... do not freeze anymore.

It is nice that it is working now, but because of the event logs I fear there is a bigger problem which will come back soon.

I have already done some research:

- I can not change any power options in the BIOS, because my BIOS in general provides very little options.
- I tried my previous PSU again, same behavior.
- On the HP website there is a newer BIOS (2011), but I would like to avoid a BIOS update if possible. It has worked for years with the old BIOS.
- Running a stress test with HeavyLoad (CPU, SSD, GPU) for almost 2 hours did not cause any problems or event log entries.
- MemTestx86+ reported nothing after running it 2 hours.

I attached my event log filtered for warnings, errors and critical messages.

Mostly these messages appear:
- event ID 37: kernel processor power (the speed of the CPU is limited by the system firmware)
- event ID 19: WHEA logger (processor core, exception when checking the computer, unkonwn error)
- event ID 18: WHEA logger (processor core, critical hardware failure, unknown error)
once there was a cache hierarchy error instead of an unknown error
- event ID 12: HAL (memory was damaged by the system firmware)

Attachments in OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvN-6zW5d3EPgj-uro8BLYxfVngI
- filtered event log
- HWinfo log
- HWinfo sensor log
- Minidump caused by the BSOD "driver failure power state" before re-installing Windows 7, there were a lot minidumps looking like this.
- Minidump after re-installing Windows 7, I do not know why this minidump was created at all, because I have not seen a bluescreen and it is the only one.

Continue reading...