Windows 10 Experiencing seemingly random black screens caused by dwm.exe and/or hardware errors

• Thread starter Thread starter knosvoxel
  • Start date Start date
K

knosvoxel

For a couple of weeks now my PC had strange behavior. I'm randomly experiencing around 1-3 blackscreens a day without any further notice of the system failing. That is independant of how many things I am running at the time but it seemed to happen more frequently while playing games.

Since the first few times I had been experiencing those issues I had reinstalled Windows onto a new SSD (as I generally had planned to do so) and the problems were gone for a couple of days. Since yesterday they are back though and I have experienced a random blackscreen today and also yesterday.

What I was able to discover in the reliability log is that it seems like whenever the blackscreen occurs the Desktop Window Manager stops to work correctly. Also since setting up Windows on the new SSD those dwm errors are coupled with some hardware errors.

Example from today:

The 3 different hardware errors had the codes 117, 187 & 1a8.

My best guess is that these errors are caused by some driver update but I had tried clean installing the drivers and that did nothing.

My hardware is the following:
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 11 850W
RAM: 32 GB HyperX Fury DDR4
Mainboard: Asus Rog B550-F gaming

I tried to put heavy load on my CPU, RAM and GPU but in no case it caused a blackscreen. I have no idea what other logs I could check or what else I could try to do to find a solution to the problems I've been experiencing so it would be very great to know if anybody has an idea on what else I could try to do to fix this. Thank you in advance.

Continue reading...

Back