Windows 10 External displays randomly disconnect following cold boot

• Thread starter Thread starter swoods281
  • Start date Start date
S

swoods281

We have this problem where external displays randomly disconnect. They usually disconnect for good and may not detect. In all cases these displays are off a dock, but I've seen it happen with different models of docks. Some docks use USB-C Thunderbolt 3, one is a recent Surface Pro dock. The docks and monitors and the cables connecting them have all been found to be good when attached to other PC's and are verified compatible by referencing manufacturer's manuals. I've tried switching from displayport to hdmi, etc, doesn't help. DisplayLink software not used by one of the docks so that can't be it. All monitors compatible with HDCP and things like that. I've updated drivers, dock firmware, bios, display drivers, tried switching or turning off discrete graphics cards for onboard intel graphics and vice versa, nothing works. It's not a power issue. I looked at what applications were running, I turned off hardware acceleration in Office and other applications, nothing. It's driving me crazy.

The one consistent pattern I've observed is that the problem starts within a few minutes after booting up a computer that had been shut down and powered off. If you restart windows, either after the problem starts or even before(restart immediately after booting), then the problem does NOT happen for the rest of the day and will only come back if you do a shut down. I already disabled fast startup and that did not fix the problem. We have not observed any correlation between this problem and putting the computer to sleep, or configuring the monitors to go off after so many minutes of inactivity in power settings.

This started happening early last month(February 2021) and since its occurring with multiple types of devices and docks, I get a strong feeling it's a Windows problem.

I was wondering if this was a known issue and if anyone had any insight.

Continue reading...

Back