Windows 10 External Hard Drive does not auto-unlock after a Windows 10 reset

• Thread starter Thread starter Elisabc
  • Start date Start date
E

Elisabc

Hello, I have an external hard drive WD My Passport that I was using with the auto-unlock feature for this computer. The drive automatically recognized the computer and auto-unlocked without the need to insert a password. However, after I made a reset to my Windows 10, the hard drive does not auto-unlock anymore, it is asking for the password and I cant remember the password anymore, so I have lost access to my data. Something changed with the Windows 10 reset that made the drive not recognize this computer as before. I haven´t created a restore point, nor have a backup. I have used the internal option reset from the control panel, the option reset without keeping my files and the option clean files only, so some files are still recoverable with a data recovery software, if needed.

Could you please tell me how to revert back the configurations to make the drive recognize this computer / user and auto-unlock again?

Is it needed to change back to the previous computer name? Should I place the same username as before? Is it the SID number? How can I find that information and change Windows 10 back to make the drive auto-unlock again, so that I can open my external hard drive and take out my files?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Continue reading...