Windows 10 External HDD drive letters appear briefly when connected but then disappear with errors Device Descriptor Request Failed or Set Address Request Failed

• Thread starter Thread starter b_rich
  • Start date Start date
B

b_rich

Hello all,

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with a serious problem. I would very much appreciate any help. It all started with a big Windows update last week. Afterwards the hard drive was no longer recognised as NTFS and was labelled RAW. I couldn't repair the computer. I was thinking of buying a new computer anyway so I did (well not new it's a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7020). I thought I would be able to connect the hard drive of my old computer to my new one with an enclosure through a USB port. The drive is a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 if that's any help. Unfortunately I can't get it to work.

When I turn on the enclosure I get a message saying that I should click to decide what to do with a drive labelled "System Reserved" with the drive letter F. I get the same message soon after for a drive with the letter G. The drive has a partition with a volume for "recovery". The other volume has the operating system (Windows 10) and all my data which I would like to recover. Immediately after the messages appear you can see the drives in File Explorer. If you select G drive you see the round processing symbol. After 30 seconds or so a message appears saying something like "The last USB device connected to the computer malfunctioned and can't be recognised" and then the two drives disappear from File Explorer. They don't appear in Disk Management either. In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers there is an error saying either "Device Descriptor Request Failed" or "Set Address Failed". In the properties for the USB port there is a message "was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".

I've googled this extensively and tried every possible fix that I could find to no avail. I've tried turning the computer off and then on again, tried all the USB ports, changed the USB cable, updated USB drivers, uninstall and then reinstall USB drivers, disable USB device and then restart, ran the USB Troubleshooter, deleted USB hidden devices, deselected Fast Startup and others. I didn't do anything with the motherboard. Since the hard drive is recognised initially and then not and considering what Windows Update did to it I suspect the problem is on the drive itself - corrupt system files or something.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Also does anyone know of any recover data software that works on a hard drive that Windows doesn't recognise? Every one I've seen needs the drive to show in Disk Management. If I can't get Windows to recognise the drive I would need software like that. Thanks very much for any replies.

Continue reading...

Back