Windows 10 External USB Drive Transplanted to New Enclosure - Invisible in Disk Management - Shows SCSI Disk in Device Management

• Thread starter Thread starter DOmeara
  • Start date Start date
D

DOmeara

I have a 4 TB external WD hard drive with a bunch of important files on it. Recently, while cleaning, the drive fell and the data connection port was broken, making it unusable. I opened the casing and removed the 3.5 hard drive within, disconnecting it from the hardware with the USB and power connections. At first, I attempted to put the hard drive in my tower in an empty slot, but when I fired up the PC, it didn't recognize the drive. I fear this is where I created a larger problem than the one I already had.

I purchased a USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive Enclosure and connected the drive via the USB. The drive powers on and spins, but I can't interface with it. It does not appear at all in Disk Management. It shows up in the Device Manager under Disk Drives as "RSH-319 ASM 1153E SCSI Disk Device," but is unusable It appears as though Windows believes it is is an SCSI drive when it was originally used via USB and is currently connected that way.

Windows states that the drive has up-to-date drivers and attempting to manually update them times out. In fact, the computer seems unhappy with the drive in general. Trying to view the properties in Device Manager usually causes the program to stop responding. If and when I'm finally able to access the properties, the program crashes if I attempt to view the Details tab. Having the drive plugged in and turned on causes random programs to freeze and significantly slows down the boot up process.

I connected the drive to a laptop and got identical results, so it seems to be affecting the drive itself rather than how my PC is interacting with it. I haven't found any existing threads in forums that match my scenario. I'm quite concerned that I may have lost all of the files on that drive, which would be a pretty serious issue for me. My priority is being able to access the files, even if it's just to transfer them elsewhere. Being able to use the drive again is secondary. As such, I really don't want to try reformatting if at all possible.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back