Windows 10 Failure to activate Windows 10 (Upgrade from Windows 7) after hardware change.

• Thread starter Thread starter K9387
  • Start date Start date
K

K9387

Hello,

I bought Windows 7 Ultimate (retail from Amazon UK) on 22 March 2011 and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro in 2015.

I have reinstalled numerous times over the years, including a CPU/motherboard/SSD hardware change in 2016. Every time I have reinstalled using a Windows ISO downloaded copied to USB, typing in my Windows 7 key and then creating a user with my Microsoft account. It has worked perfectly every time.

I recently change my CPU/motherboard/memory/SSD again, but this time Windows will not activate and I get the following error:

"We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key. If you think you do have a valid licence or key, elect Troubleshoot below. (0xc004c003)"

When going through 'Troubleshoot' and 'I recently changed hardware on this device' I get led to a screen that should list my previous device, but does not because I had previously deleted it (I had done this with previous installs, this is before I read about digital licences, etc).

I just tried phoning Microsoft Support, who went through the same process and failed. The then took my key, put me on hold for a few minutes, then told me to type (in an Admin PowerShell):

PS C:\Windows\system32> slmgr -upk
PS C:\Windows\system32> slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (my Windows 7 key)

This then came back with:

"Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported the product key is invalid"

The Microsoft Support agent then told me that there was nothing anybody at Microsoft could do and I should contact Amazon to request another Windows 7 key.

Despite my protests they just kept repeating this.

Now I haven't contact Amazon, but surely this isn't right.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Continue reading...