Windows 10 Fall Creators Update fails to install - at a loss at how to proceed

• Thread starter Thread starter dhaussa
  • Start date Start date
D

dhaussa

Howdy,

Fall Creators Update (FCU) has occasionally been trying to install since December. Every time it tries it fails at 45%, reboots and rolls back, and returns to 1607 - Anniversary Update (AU).

Creators Update (CU) had the same problem when that was released, and eventually my PC stopped asking to install it. The system has never had CU.

This last week I have been trying to resolve FCU failing to install but have unfortunately made no headway at all - it always fails at 45%. Have lost track of how many times I've tried.

Perhaps the most frustrating part of all this is that almost every time I log in after a rollback it starts to re-download FCU data and prompts me to install FCU again. Even if I halt that, trying to install FCU again requires a redownload anyway. My monthly internet quota has taken a significant hit - will likely have to purchase additional data...

Here's a basic list of what is currently active hardware wise:

• Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-4770K
  • 8GB RAM
  • Samsung SSD 840 EVO
  • Apple Keyboard
  • Logitech G5 Mouse
  • BenQ G2400W

Other hardware, currently uninstalled and not connected for the purposes of FCU:

• Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480
  • Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1
  • 4x Western Digital HDDs
  • Berringer UMX49 MIDI keyboard
  • Pioneer DDJ-SB
  • MS LifeCam
  • Wacom Bamboo pen tablet
  • ASUS PCE-AC66 wifi card (won't be re-installed)

Things I have tried to get around this issue:

• Checking for other updates and retrying the standard update process using Windows Update
  • Stopping wuauserv/cryptSvc/bits/msiserver, renaming SoftwareDistribution + catroot2, Starting wuauserv/cryptSvc/bits/msiserver
  • Wiping all downloaded update data
  • Disabling Windows Defender
  • Uninstalling and disconnecting the aforementioned list of hardware
    • Uninstalling old previously connected devices and their drivers (Device manager > show hidden devices)
  • Removing old versions of currently active drivers
  • Using Update Assistant
  • Using Media Creation Tool
    • Both the "Upgrade" option and via ISO (mounted virtually)
    • With and without disconnecting/disabling network adapters for both upgrade/ISO methods
    • On top of everything else, uninstalling and unplugging mouse and keyboard devices once the ISO installer has started installation process, essentially leaving just motherboard+SSD+screen
  • Installing all IIS options (there were numerous complaints about IIS in error log)
  • Uninstalling all IIS options (there were numerous complaints about IIS in error log)
  • CCleaner to deal with bogus registry entries

After rollback, when using Media Creation Tool, I'm usually shown a dialog with the codes 0xc1900101 0x30018.

If I check the Event Viewer for the XML data for any WindowsUpdateClient errors, I see 0x80070652, but this has been different on occasion.

Here is a Sync folder link which contains error log files from the most recent attempt:

• Sync.com | Control Panel
  • WindowsUpdateClient.EventLog.20180126-1850 - XML from Event Viewer
  • setuperr.log - from $WINDOWS.~BT/Sources/Panther
  • diagerr.xml - from $WINDOWS.~BT/Sources/Panther

I've put a lot of time into rectifying this with no success so I'm contemplating a completely fresh install, but I am very reluctant to do so as I have a lot of audio software and sample library content that will take ~26-28 hours to reinstall (many highly compressed DVDs), as well as having to recreate a multi-drive hard-link configuration for automatice off-site backups and resync many GBs of data.

I think I'm out of options, but would really appreciate any insight or other approaches I can take to get FCU installed.

Thanks!
Dan

Continue reading...

Back