Windows 10 File missing from my Documents folder. I get 'Could not find this item' when I try to copy a backup into the folder.

• Thread starter Thread starter spw24
  • Start date Start date
S

spw24

Hi all,

My 'Documents' folder is synchronised to a company network folder.

Recently, I have had a couple of instances where I opened a Word document that was an email attachment and saved it to my Documents folder. Upon closing Word I found the document wasn't actually there!

Another symptom I am having is that after I have saved a document, if I make a small change and resave it tells me I do not have permission to save over the original version, but when I look in the folder it isn't there at all.

On one occasion I opened KeePass and saved my database file after an edit. When I returned to open it again it was not there!

These are intermittent issues - most of the time the folder is behaving normally. (but it does mean I don't trust my files to be saved).

I have a backup of my KeePass database file, but when I try to copy it into the folder, it says 'Could not find this item' and states that it is no longer located in the folder I am copying it from (which is incorrect). I have tried moving the file to other folders (it opens fine from any of these locations) but when I try to paste it in to the original location, with the original file name, it gives this error.

I have been able to rename it and copy it in, but I cannot rename it to the original name. It's almost as if the error is actually that the file already exists and I don't have permission to modify it - but it isn't visible to me. (I have it set to display hidden files and it still isn't there).

Any idea how to fix this? I'm pretty sure it is something our system admins have done in configuration, but they don't know where to start looking!

P.S. it has happened to another person in my office.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Continue reading...

Back