Windows 10 Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates

• Thread starter Thread starter StevenMael
  • Start date Start date
S

StevenMael

I have the same problem as the below posting. I have tried a bunch of things to remedy this issue, but really nothing works.

"Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates"

Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates

I know the exact cause of the problem being Windows 10 doing an auto-update. I have a cloned version of an earlier version of Windows 10 (maybe one version earlier as I made that copy when I had a very stable system and came into a second identical SSD), and in mere seconds it boots perfectly, most likely because I have an AMD Ryzen 3900X 12 Core 3.79 GHz Processor, 64 GB of RAM, and a Samsung SSD that only contains the operating system on it.

Then Windows does its auto-update, and I get the black screen for five plus minutes again. I go back to the cloned version, and everything works until Windows updates again, then black screen for five plus minutes. The first time this happened, I kept rebooting my computer, which only made the problem worse until it simply would not boot. Now I just let it run, and it appears to boot up okay, but I should not have to put up with this on any modern PC. I don't remember exactly when this began, but I know it has been quite a few months.

I have tried troubleshooting and I do not have the optional update KB4535996 installed.

Today when I went to start my PC it did something different in that it went onto the screen where an obscured photo of some nice place is displayed, the photo became visible for a half second, went back to being blurred, then became visible for a half second again, then went back to blurred, stayed that way for a while, then went to the black screen, then the wait, then proper boot up.

As an aside, I have been able to get the pretty picture to clear up, I don't remember exactly what I did, but it was just a matter of unchecking a box somewhere, but that ultimately ended up causing some problems, so I went back and rechecked the box.

So the bottom line here is, does anyone know how to fix my black screen midway into the start up, that causes the five minute black screen delay before proper boot up?

Thank you,

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Continue reading...

Back