Windows 10 Folder Redirection Causes Explorer.exe to become Unresponsive

• Thread starter Thread starter Christian Peña (cpena)
  • Start date Start date
C

Christian Peña (cpena)

Hi,

I have approximately 518 End Users who are configured to have the following folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, and Pictures) redirected to a file server. The End Users are using Windows 10 versions 1709, 1803, or 1809 x64. The File Server have Windows Server 2016 Datacenter version 1607 x64.

At the beginning of the year 2018, we had no issue with Folder Redirection. All users were able to open applications and access files from the redirected folders as normal . On December 2018, some users have reported and issue with Explorer.exe freezing after trying to open up an application. Below are the troubleshooting steps my colleagues and I have taken. (The following steps did not resolve the issue)

- Open Task Manager and restart Explorer.exe

- Remove the employee's Windows profile and have him/her login again. This will create a new Windows profile and enforce our Group Policies.

- Assign a new computer to the employee.

Below is how we determined the issue is with the Folder Redirection. I will be executing an application that we use to present the computer screen/s to a conference room TV. Application Name: ClickShare

1. Login on a domain joined computer with my network test account. My test account is part of the Folder Redirection security group.

2. Due to our security settings, I have to copy the executable from ClickShare to the Desktop folder.

3. Double-click on the ClickShare icon.

4. Explorer.exe freezes. A few minutes later, Windows become unresponsive.

5. Force the computer to shutdown.

6. Followed Microsoft's instructions to do a clean-boot. Repeat steps 1-5. Issue still replicates.

7. Remove my network test account from the Folder Redirection security group.

8. After waiting a few minutes, login again on the same computer.

9. Double-click on the ClickShare icon. Issue does not replicate.

As a temporary solution, I have my End Users save/copy small applications (i.e ClickShare) to a local folder that is not redirected to our File Server. However this solution will not work when I have new users. My co-workers and I have witnessed the Explorer.exe will not respond after the new user logs in.

Could a Windows update caused the issue explained above?

P.S. The issue will also replicate when the computer is not connected to the internet.

Continue reading...