Windows 10 Freezing when attempting to install drivers and bad image errors

• Thread starter Thread starter cstone634
  • Start date Start date
C

cstone634

Hi there, this is a problem I have been trying to solve for months now, which all started around the time of the October 2019 update. Varying symptoms over time include freezing shortly after login (rebooting fixed this until the machine was next powered off for a significant period; this issue is no longer present), freezing whilst installing driver software (This has gotten better over time but still applies to AMD graphics drivers, and sometimes Logitech Gaming Software, although it mysteriously worked once) and bad image errors once software is installed (at the moment, with Steam, giving error code 0xc000012f and complaining about detoured.dll). I have found workarounds for most of these issues and could live with them if not for the last one, which reared its head again yesterday after I updated my AMD graphics drivers through device manager. Overnight I reinstalled Windows and the problem persists.

Possible leads on the cause:

The one thing that the complaining drivers have in common is the Qt framework, but I don't really understand what that is.

Around the time the problems began to arise, I replaced an old 1TB storage drive with a new 2TB one, cloning the data across. This drive has been formatted since, although not at the same time as the two Windows reinstalls that took place.

Perhaps there is some confusion amongst my OS/software as to whether my system is 32-bit or 64-bit. Hence it acquired the wrong version of detoured.dll. The one other person I found who has had problems with freezing during driver installs eventually diagnosed it as a memory-related error, but I have ran memtest86 for several passes to verify this is not the case for me. A 32-64-bit confusion in the OS would wreak havoc on the memory in similar ways though, I imagine. I have no idea how this would occur though, so it's probably a stupid suggestion.

Back when I used to occasionally get blue screens after the freezes, the OS would throw either a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, or in the case of installing the chipset drivers, a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT.

Things I have ruled out:

The graphics card itself. I've tried with the integrated graphics and the same issue arose.

The memory. As mentioned, I ran memtest86 overnight, and I've also switched DIMM slots as the other user complained that a bad slot was the cause.

The OS installation; I've done one repaired install and one clean install (although for the latter I used an installation media that was created on this same machine. I assume it's done using download and is independent of the machine's own system files?)

General system stability; until yesterday my machine was perfectly capable of running any game for hours on end, except when I saw stuttering in Portal 2 and Halo: Master Chief Collection, which prompted the driver update. I've also run AIDA64 and various GPU stress tests/benchmarks. My hardware is regularly dusted and well looked after.

File corruption (to the best of my ability). I've run DISM and SFC several times in the last few months, and have even tried manually replacing detoured.dll.

System hardware:

Intel Core i5 4690k

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 (USB3.1 variant of the Z97 Gaming 7)

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G

Kingston HyperX Savage low-profile 2x8GB DDR3-1866MHz

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB (Boot)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM (Storage)

Corsair RM-750x power supply

Continue reading...