Windows 7 Frequent BSOD after installing new external HDD - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

• Thread starter Thread starter ravonel
  • Start date Start date
R

ravonel

A few months back, I switched out the older external HDDs I always have hooked up for new ones (Western Digital, 10TB, Elements and easystore). My computer started BSODing, sometimes every few weeks, sometimes minutes apart. I didn't realize it was the HDDs at first, I replaced them one at a time over a period of weeks and sometimes at first the BSOD would happen just once, then be fine for two weeks. But eventually, it was getting to the point where I couldn't do anything for fear of a crash. And while the blue screen flashed for just a bit before restarting, and there were no minidumps, I did manage to record my screen and catch the error, which was DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE: 0x0000009F.

I looked that up and it seemed to be a driver/power management thing, so I followed the advice, and both tried to update my drivers using Driver Easy and played around with power management settings and something seemed to work! For almost two months after, including the adding of a new Western Digital easystore 12TB external, it was all fine. I didn't restart in that time, I didn't need or want to, everything was working great and smoothly, no BSOD.

But yesterday morning, I had to restart because my screen power saver wasn't kicking in (I don't know if this is relevant, I'm just adding it in case it might be) and soon after it BSODed, this time with a minidump. In the last day, it's crashed several times, I've uploaded the minidumps to onedrive:

I've tried Driver Easy again but even after updating everything, it's still happening.

Continue reading...