Windows 10 Frequent Unexpected System Crashes

• Thread starter Thread starter Pbeagles
  • Start date Start date
P

Pbeagles

Hello,

Last week, I built a desktop machine and have been experiencing frequent, unexpected system crashes. The monitor will go black and any audio will be 'frozen' for 2-5 seconds before the system automatically reboots (no BSOD). These crashes occur during all activities, from internet browsing/game downloads, gaming, videos, and idling. Initially, the crashes were occurring every 15-20 minutes and after a GPU swap they are now occurring roughly every 2-3 hours. The longest period between crashes is roughly 6 hours, with the shortest being approximately 2 minutes.

Here are the system specs:

• Windows 10 Pro (1909, OS build 18363.720)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Corsair H150i Pro 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus (Wifi) ATX AM4 Motherboard (BIOS 1405)
  • Original GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Gaming OC
  • Replacement GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super (latest driver: 445.75)
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 MHz Memory
  • HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Corsair RM 750w 80+ Gold ATX PSU
  • Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor

After the initial series of crashes, I validated that the drivers for all hardware components listed above are up to date. I also reseated the GPU and RAM sticks.

When the crashes continued, I removed the GPU drivers using the DDU tool and reinstalled them via AMD's website. After the problem persisted, I wiped the M.2 and performed a clean Windows installation. However, the problem still persisted with the same frequency. After performing some research online, I was able to find a high volume of cases with similar symptoms reported from individuals utilizing AMD 5000 series GPUs. At this point, I replaced the 5700 XT with the 2070 Super detailed above (wiped AMD GPU drivers via DDU). In addition, I have successfully booted from each memory stick, independently, and achieved a 100% pass on the MemTest program.

I have also reviewed the Event Viewer and there is a consistent error that appears (see attached screenshot). However, I am not able to determine the root cause of the crash from this event. I have several .dmp files from recent crashes, however I do not see a way to post them in this message.

I am at my wit's end - any help in getting this resolved would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide that would be helpful.

Thanks you

Continue reading...