Windows 10 Fresh install of latest Windows 10. Will sometimes freeze everything, requiring a restart

• Thread starter Thread starter hunterdust
  • Start date Start date
H

hunterdust

I recently had to reinstall the latest Windows 10 Professional after my last one somehow got horribly corrupted. Ever since I did this new install, every so often, maybe twice a week, I find all my running programs frozen. This usually, but not always, happens shortly after I boot. Like within the first 10 minutes. Everything will be fine, I will be on various browsers, etc. and then they all freeze. I can't click anywhere in the browser, now can I switch between open apps. I can't get to the task manger either by Right Click or Ctrl/Alt/Del. The mouse pointer moves fine. In fact, if my open windows are such that I can still see something on my desktop, I can click it to open it. However, it IMMEDIATELY becomes unresponsive as well once it opens. So I have to restart. Even this is strange behavior because I have a shortcut key on my keyboard that I have mapped to Restart. And that works. In fact, that is the ONLY way I can do it since I can't click on the Start menu. But the fact that it works at all suggests it can't be that Windows is totally unresponsive. But all programs opened freeze and new ones freeze as soon as opened.

I have never had this happen before, even on my previous installation that obviously got corrupted somehow. I don't know what causes it, so I can't recreate it at will. I generally open the same programs to start, so it doesn't seem likely that it is some weird interaction between them.

Continue reading...

Back