Group Policy Client Service

• Thread starter Thread starter RonFoster_45
  • Start date Start date
R

RonFoster_45

Hi

I purchased an HP 22-2130na computer for or five weeks ago and have had problems with Windows since.

The computer was loaded with Windows 8.1.

The problem first occurred a couple of days after I first started using the new computer. I had loaded additional software the day before, namely: Microsoft Office 2016, Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, Family Tree Maker 2012 and Roxio Creator 2009 as well as downloading Norton 360. Everything seemed normal when I switched on and signed into my user account to install files from my old computer. Having completed mine I decided to do the same with my wife's user account. This was when I received the message 'Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client Service. Please contact your system administrator', namely me.

I contacted HP support. They advised it was a software problem and couldn't help, but suggested four options:

1. Delete user and set up new user account. I tried this. I first received the error message that user could not be deleted as user was not signed out, but I had signed out. Despite this error message it deleted the user account anyway. I then tried to reinstate the user account, but nothing happened for several minutes before the error message We're sorry but something went wrong. This user wasn't added to this PC. Code 0x80070426' appeared,

2. HP could restore computer to factory settings. I was reluctant to do this as Microsoft Office 2016 was purchased for life of machine only, and I was unsure whether it would be possible to download it again even though it was the same computer.

3. Contact Microsoft for assistance to sort out the registry problem. It was inferred that this would necessitate reinstallation of software and so was reluctant to opt for this option for same reason as under 2. I subsequently read something on the internet to the effect that Microsoft were no longer supporting Windows 8.1.

4. Contact the vendor. This would only mean getting a new computer which would have been loaded with the same Windows version and the same problem. Again there could be problems downloading Microsoft Office 2016.

The contact at HP said that it was possible to Google the problem to get a fix for the Registry issue.

I was not confident about doing this so I got my son to use the fix posted by PLX.

This worked after a fashion and he was able to set my wife up as user again but this time as an administrator rather than as a standard user which appeared to have prevented my wife's access previously.

However, problems still occurred in Windows with Windows Explorer, specifically I was unable to access Windows Update to check the update settings, and when the previous updates had occurred. PLX had suggested that the registry problem was a result of automatic updates and restarting.

I decided that the best option was to upgrade to Windows 10, which I understood would create its own registry and therefore eliminate the problems with the registry experience under 8.1.

After a couple of attempts I was able to successfully upgrade to Windows 10, although due to the download speed on my broadband connection it took a total of six hours.

Everything seemed fine again. The following day a Microsoft update occurred, and although set to automatic I was requested to install the updates, and noted and the time that it was only set to update Windows, not Microsoft Office. I clicked to update, intending to ensure that Microsoft Office updates were set to be installed later.

The next day I turned on the computer I was back to square one. I received the message 'Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client Service. The may affect standard users accessing heir account' This may not be the exact wording but unlike he 8.1 message it did not suggest contacting the system administrator. Again this issue appears to have been generated by the Microsoft updates of the previous day.

This message now greets me every time I log on, but fortunately it is not affecting my wife's user account as she is an administrator and not a standard user.

I am however prevent from using some windows services, specifically I am unable to access Microsoft Update via Settings, which appears to be the correct way under Windows 10, so I am still unable to ensure that I am receiving updates to Microsoft Office 2016.

Also occasionally there seems to be a problem with start up. This morning my wife signed in but just got a black screen. I manually switched off the computer and switched it on again she was able to sign in without problem.

It seems to me that there is an inherent problem regarding registry in both Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. I am not aware whether the same fix used for Windows 8.1 will apply to Windows 10, but as that fix did not completely solve problems with 8.1 I am reluctant to consider trying it on 10.

Is anyone aware of a permanent solution to this problem under Windows 10?

I am not a computer expert but it seems to me that Microsoft should be issuing an update or download that will resolve this registry problem and its affect on Windows services.

Sorry this is so long winded but I felt it necessary to go through the events so far, as hopefully there may be a clue as to why this is happening on this computer. I haven't identified any posts where this has occurred on Windows 10 elsewhere.

Continue reading...

Back