Windows 10 Had issues with PC all day after updates; random restarts, freezing

• Thread starter Thread starter JM_Photo
  • Start date Start date
J

JM_Photo

This morning, my Windows 10 PC randomly restarted multiple times while I was working in Word. I troubleshooted it all day, trying multiple things. I resetted my power settings, uninstalled the 5/18/20 updates, restarted & reinstalled them twice, and nothing worked. What I discovered was that my PC was freezing (not just restarting) at the most unexpected times-- I changed the setting that says the computer will auto-restart when something goes wrong. Then I discovered the restarts weren't the problem but in fact freezing was. It's a nearly brand new AMD build with a ryzen processor and 8 GB RAM, so there's no way it's the hardware. It froze while I was using Word twice and once while I was watching Youtube on Chrome browser, two things which should be nothing for a high-performance gaming PC like mine.

The second time I uninstalled/reinstalled the updates and restarted (initially auto-installed this morning) was when the biggest headache occurred: the pc no longer recognized my monitor! I'm guessing this is a driver thing, but how the hell can I troubleshoot when I can't even see the damn screen?? I've had it up to here and am in desperate need of help.

Continue reading...