Windows 10 Have Startup Repair and cannot boot

• Thread starter Thread starter acal17
  • Start date Start date
A

acal17

Windows 10 Startup Repair Loop - Will not boot Have received a PC from a friend which will not boot into regular Windows (1903), will only boot into the Windows Recovery Environment after attempting a repair. I've been trying to get it working for a while now and everything I seem to try fails.

What I've tried:

* System Restore (no restore points on system)

* System Image Recovery (no image)

* Uninstalling last update (fails on both feature and quality update)

* Startup Settings (reboots to show a blank blue screen, nothing happens)

* Reset this PC (goes to a Windows splash screen for around 30 seconds before failing back to the blue Recovery Environment with the message: There was a problem resetting your PC - No changes were made.)

* Startup Repair (Goes to a Windows splash screen for a few seconds before failing back to the blue Recovery Environment with a message which mentions something about SrtTrail)

Checking SrtTrail.txt at this point shows a list of tests which were successful before telling me Startup Repair was unable to determine the root cause.

* I then tried the bootrec command in the Command Prompt to fix the MBR, boot and BCD. (seemed to work, changed nothing on reboot.)

* chkdsk to fix any errors on the system drive (completes telling me there are no issues)

* sfc /scannow on the offline system disk (once entered seemingly hangs on a blinking cursor forever - left overnight to no joy)

* dism on the offline system disk (Refuses to start citing that the temporary folder does not exist or has insufficient permissions)

At this point I try placing the scratchdir for dism on every disk I have at my disposal, which is to say the 2 disks on the machine and 2 usb drive I have laying around. Every time giving me the same error. I then try using icacls to give permissions to each folder on every drive, using different user strings (users, everyone, nt authority\system). Still no joy.

At this point I burn a Windows disc from my working machine to try and deal with the problem this way. I make sure to use the same language, locale and build number (1903) when burning this disc. I then insert the disc in the errant machine, and put in the language and locale settings. I click on "Repair this Computer" and try essentially every step listed above once more to no avail. I reboot and try this time installing from disc. I have read online of an in-place repair install and thought I could do this. However, when I try to install Windows from the disc it tells me Windows is already installed, and I must boot into Windows to upgrade using the disc. This would be alright, if I were to be able to get the computer to boot to Windows.

I have exhausted all the resources I could find online regarding these problems and have come out fruitless.

Continue reading...

Back