Windows 10 Having problems with windows, it started about a week or two ago, after an update I think, black screen of impending doom

• Thread starter Thread starter hamster-biathalon
  • Start date Start date
H

hamster-biathalon

Alright I don't know what happened but for several weeks prior to the main day of black screen of almost impending death, I will get to that in a bit, every night around 3 in the morning, I would loose my internet connection. It wouldn't be permanent maybe like 10 minutes but it was really annoying if I was in the middle of playing a game or watching a movie. After a week or two of this it started crashing the desktop and sidebar, the desktop would go blank and the side bar would just be on a waiting symbol for a while. It would stop if I disconnected from the internet, tho not instantaneously, but at first I thought it was a virus, or ransomware not that I go to anywhere sketchy or have installed anything sketchy. I ran a bunch of virus scans in safe mode and when it first loaded up regularly and cleaned trackers and all the regular things that could be done. No virus was found. Oh as well, if I disconnected from the internet I was never able to reconnect to the internet unless I restarted, and then there was a brief week where the internet signal icon, the dot with the three rounded lines, had turned into an airplane, like airplane mode, except that It would be normal mode, I don't know why and after a week it suddenly went back to normal.

I tried windows update cause there was one waiting, this downloaded and failed to install. However I noticed that during the installation the same things that happened at the beginning, ie losing connection and desktop stalling and or crashing would happen. Anyways it would fail. Side note, it had always failed one specific update a year ago and sometimes it is mentioned in an unsuccessful build update. As well, out of the last ten updates, two have successfully installed. Security Update for Adobe Flash Player, February 11, 2020, and Update for Microsoft Defender antimalware platform on 5/16/2020. There are two more pending but they have failed when I have tried installing them. From my memory the really old build update that never updated was called 1903 I dont see it in my history but it comes up when builds fail to install occasionally.

These two are pending but will fail again:

2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4560960)

2020-05 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4552931)

My error code for one of those updates is 0xc1900107

It does say Your device is missing important security and quality fixes but many wont install.

It was around here that I stopped thinking it was a virus and started thinking it was a windows system problem. When it hung I would still have access to the mouse and when I would get black screen of partial death I would still have access to my mouse. When I first logged on and if I opened something lets say, a browser or a folder I could still interact and surf the web or access anything in it, if it was an opened folder if the system crashed, it doesnt always. If it did crash, I figured out that if I control alt delete and log off and log on, then it would reload up the desktop and whether it crashed this time was something I didnt know, I can do this until it doesnt crash the desktop. I will add that the system never crash crashes when it does crash, it is still partially able to function just it is stuck in a perpetual loading symbol and blackness, It loads everything up tho, antivirus and bluetooth and anything else in startup, and then crashes.

One other thing is is if it crashes at the beginning and then I wait and it comes back, multiplayer interactions, multiplayer games, friends list, and the main steam store, library window will hang even tho I will be able to browse on the internet, solo games will work, and randomly enough that special steam system, big picture, seems to work even tho the regular steam store page wont, netflix will not work as well.

I have tried running:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If I sfc /scannow it says there is corrupted files and to check in the logs. When I run Dism checkhealth and scanhealth it says there are corrupted files.

When I run the Dism restore health it gets to about 5.5 % and says that it cannot finish and that it is recorded in the logs.

I can post the logs but I just dont know what is relevant or helpful to know. If I scandisk C: there is no disk errors.

I can try to install the old updates some more but they always fail.

I dont want to fresh install cause I dont want to lose anything but I want to know what I can do to try to fix windows without having to do a fresh install. As well when it crashes then works it is running at 100% Disk resources for a period of time, sometimes hours and sometimes ten fifteen minutes. Sometimes I think it has to do with the graphics card or maybe downloading an update or installing it but i don't know.

Also My microphone and laptop webcam are having issues. The problems started months ago. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software. They both work on the software from the manufacturer. Randomly enough Skype started loading into my task bar during all of this, during startup, didnt happen before I had it turned off, anyways the webcam now works with skype but not the microphone. The mic and cam do not work with anything else and not in the browsers and the settings are set to allow them to be.

It is a lenovo y520 gt 1060 3 gb 8 gig Ram if that is helpful.

os build 18362.535

What can I do to get the windows files repaired and or the updates to install properly, preferably without losing any of my files?

Continue reading...

Back