Windows 10 HDR10 content from PC not triggering the HDR settings on my display

• Thread starter Thread starter poit57
  • Start date Start date
P

poit57

Other than the Windows HD Color settings, is there something else I need to check for the computer to trigger the HDR display mode on my television?

I have a PC connected to a TCL 5-Series Roku television in my living room that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The HDR features work as expected with my PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and Roku apps, but I am having trouble getting both HDR and SDR content to display on my television correctly at the same time from my computer.

The computer is Running Windows 10 version 2004 with all available updates and has a Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics card with current drivers. I have followed all the suggestions on this page.

With Windows HD Color turned off, everything is sent to the television as SDR which is to be expected. When I enable the HD Color settings, HDR content appears with the correct colors, while all SDR content is washed out, even after adjusting the brightness slider on the Windows HD Color Settings page. The television has different display presets for SDR, HDR10, and Dolby Vision. The HDR modes are triggered automatically by the detected video signal, but no matter what changes I've tried from the PC, the television remains in SDR mode.

I can tell that the television is not detecting an HDR signal because the available preset configurations change depending on SDR, HDR10 or Dolby Vision content detected. For SDR content, the presets available are Movie, Normal, Vivid, Sports, or Low Power. When HDR content is detected, the available display modes change to Dark, Normal, and Bright with an HDR or Dolby Vision logo depending on the HDR type detected.

Both the Windows HD Color settings and the DirectX Diagnostic tool indicate that my display is capable of HDR.

Continue reading...