Windows 10 Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

• Thread starter Thread starter Angelus13AOV
  • Start date Start date
A

Angelus13AOV

I recently upgraded my PC, adding a new motherboard and CPU. I had to reinstall Windows but chose to keep my files since I had A LOT of personal files (music, movies, pictures) that I didn't want to lose. Right now I'm trying to install games on the Xbox App but I'm having a problem.

When I attempt to install a game, let's say Forza for example, it wants to install it to the C drive, which is my SSD where Windows is installed. I don't want it there. I want it installed on my D drive, which is my HDD where I have all my games installed. When I try to change the installation to the D drive the Xbox App says "This location isn't set up for installing games. Set it as your location for where new apps are saved."

So I go into Settings and where it says "New apps will save to:" I attempt change it from the C drive to the D drive. I then get a message saying "Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" Now of course, I don't fully know what apps it's referring to or what it wants to delete. I would imagine it has to do with the fact that before I changed motherboards the Xbox games were being installed on the D drive and those files might still be there. When I click Yes I then get a message saying "We couldn't set your default save location. The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit. The error code is 0x800700003, in case you need it."

I tried researching this problem for a week, attempting to find answers through various means with no luck. I'm wondering if the WindowsApps folder is a part of the issue. I didn't have permission to view the folder but I resolved that by changing permissions. Inside the folder I can see other folders that correspond to different games and DLCs from the Windows Store such as DLC for Gears Of War among other things. However, when I tried to delete those folders I was unsuccessful. I'm at a loss on what to do and how to resolve this issue. Can anyone please advise?

Continue reading...