Windows 7 Help ! Laptop HP 8560p New Year's BSOD atikmpag.sys graphic drivers

• Thread starter Thread starter between25
  • Start date Start date
B

between25

I was using my laptop New Year’s Day before going to bed in the morning and got a BSOD. I hope for the best but when the laptop rebooted (an HP Elitebook 8560p with win7 x64 SP1) the screen remained black. I wished myself happy New Year and went to bed. So the next day the issue remained. I plugged and external screen which works so I saw that the BSOD is about the atikmpag.sys graphic drivers, which makes sense since the screen isn't working. So I booted in safe mode to delete (I just rename) the atikmpag.sys and atikmdag.sys files, then I can boot windows normally, but I have no graphic drivers and only the external screen works. I have updated and tried different driver versions, which doesn't solve the issue, updated BIOS, then I remembered my computer had rebooted on it's own once or twice in the last few days for windows updates and there was one on the 12/31 but it was critical so I couldn’t uninstall it, so I Rolled back to some automatic backup from the 29th it seemed I had yet the problem remains. Now my windows update go from 12/25 KB4507004 to 01/04 KB4531786. I have also noticed that the “sleep” function is greyed out, if that gives anyone a hint (I spent 5min trying to solve that one, they mentioned the BIOS, which is when I updated in case it also worked for the screen). I called HP who have made it clear that this is not faulty hardware so they can’t help me, which too bad because they were real easy to get in contact with. So they gave me the number for Microsoft but I’m not getting anywhere. I expect that there is just some issue between some code for the windows update and some hardware, but I doubt my case will ever get a fix since there are no more updates for Elitebook 8560p and Windows 7 will stop Jan 14th. I would like to know if anyone has solved this kind of problem, or if it can be solved at all. The laptop seems to be about 10 years old and maybe this is just a case of planned obsolescence, which would bum me out since I don’t worship consumerism, but I would like to know if this can be fixed or if I’m tilting at windmills.

Thanks for the help.

Continue reading...