Windows 10 Help with stop error ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY

• Thread starter Thread starter Dickinsonia
  • Start date Start date
D

Dickinsonia

Yesterday on 11/15/2020, I'm fiddling around with configurations on a Steam tool (Source SDK, specifically), trying to get the Hammer tool to work on a specific game configuration. Trying and failing many times to work out the bugs, I attempt to load into one of my saved builds and I'm greeted with a sudden BSoD with the error ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. The failed file was bScsiSDa.sys. After waiting almost ten minutes, the machine didn't automatically restart, so I turned my machine off manually. I tried restarting several times, with the desktop booting for maybe thirty seconds before the same stop error displays again. Booting into Safe Mode did not help; in fact, after I accessed it once and the system failed, any further restarts would boot right into the stop error. I can't even get to the advanced startup options screen. I don't know what the hell I could have possibly done with Steam to screw the system up so badly. I wasn't tampering with system files, I was just trying to get Hammer to run on a Garry's Mod configuration. But now I can't even get to the desktop anywhere near long enough to uninstall Steam and hopefully undo the damage.

Also, on a quick note, I had installed some new drivers on my machine a few days prior, but I'm pretty sure none of these had to do with the crash. My system worked fine until this Steam fiasco. And another thing, I created a system restore point the same day before I installed the new drivers. I tried using it but my machine is telling me a restore point doesn't exist. What the hell is going on with my machine? Windows Defender picked up no threats, so there's no malware on my machine.

Continue reading...

Back