Windows 10 High CPU usage on Windows 10 after update 1903

• Thread starter Thread starter Indomce
  • Start date Start date
I

Indomce

Hello,

I recently updated to update 1903, I have heard about a few bugs in the version on the internet about it so I hesitated at first when it was made available, but I decided to install a fresh version of Windows 10 without saving anything and then apply the 1903 update a week ago. Immediately after installing the update the computer seemed to be performing with no problems, but when I launched different programs at the same time my CPU went from idle to freezing mode in a few seconds. I wondered what was going on so I opened the task manager and it showed that my CPU was using 100% of its working capacity, and common apps such as Google Chrome and Windows File Explorer used extreme amounts of CPU resources (at least 50% each) at launch, then the CPU usage simply drops to normal. After that I installed all the updates in Windows Update, updated my graphics card driver (Nvidia), ran "Defragment and Optimize Drives" program in Windows thinking that it might fix the problem, but it didn't. I have also searched the internet for possible solutions to my problem, but those solutions are not for the problem I'm having: There are no specific Windows processes using much of the CPU, it's simply many if not all programs I have installed- which should be compatible with update 1903.

Playing hardware-dependent games about the same problem occurs: High CPU usage at launch and it continues slightly when playing. But something interesting happens when pressing the Windows Key on my keyboard; the game freezes and becomes unresponsive for about a minute, and trying to start a program (which isn't very hardware-dependent) during this freezing window is not possible, although the program starts loading once the freezing period is over.

I never experienced this problem before installing update 1903, the computer was performing perfect before the update and I could launch multiple programs at the same time without any hardware issues, the CPU never went from working for a few percent to 100% in seconds, again as it does now. The first idea which came to my mind about what the problem could be was if my CPU was old, but I have an i7 4790K at 4,0GHz, which should be usable even today despite being a few years old. The second idea I got was if my silver cooling-paste between the CPU and CPU fan was old and needed fresh applied, so I did that and tested, which unfortunately made no difference.

This problem has been going on for a week since I installed the update and hasn't improved at all even at the time of writing this. I can't think of anything else that I know of which can fix this, so I don't see any alternative than asking for help here. Is this something that can be fixed in Windows or is it simply my hardware which can be faulty?

Thank you in advance,

Indomce

Here are my hardware specs in case they are needed:

1 Intel 120GB SSD drive (which boots Windows)
1 Samsung 500GB SSD for storage

1 Samsung 1TB hard drive for storage

Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB graphics card

Kingston 16GB memory 1666MHz

Intel i7 4790K 4,0GHz

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard

1 Asus DVD burner

Continue reading...