Windows 10 High Latency and stuttering during network use

• Thread starter Thread starter blue__NEPTUNE
  • Start date Start date
B

blue__NEPTUNE

Hey everyone,

I've been having the following issue after one of the many windows updates start of 2021, I only noticed it appearing more and more around end of January.

Issue: Incredibly high latency in apps, games or just windows itself. No audio cracks present yet. Mouse movement is delayed, dragging windows and moving them around is extremely slow and laggy. Game performance also drops from 380-400fps down to 5-10fps.

When did it start: End of January or start of February.

Is there a pattern: Yes and no. It seems to be triggered by internet usage (over a LAN connection). I successfully reproduced it by opening a lot of browser tabs on Youtube or just letting Steam download a game. Sometimes triggered even by opening Discord. I can't always reproduce it though, its completely random far as I can tell, not completely limited by network usage but certainly mostly affected by it.
Task Manager and resource monitor show no anomalies, everything is at the usual usage numbers.

I've been browsing any and every forum / post I could find here and elsewhere for 7 days. I'll list what I've tried below. I'm mainly using LatencyMon to find out who the culprit is, 99% of the time its ndis.sys but there are others I'll explain below.

Build
Speccy Link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oNGHcTNjAkd4khqa4xO3gR5

What I've tried:
1. The basics: Updating Mobo-related drivers, reinstalling them, letting Windows choose them, choosing them myself and manually installing it
2. Nvidia: Updated / Clean-installed the latest and drivers from 3 months back with and without Geforce Experience and the Audio driver
3. Windows: Tried the repair, reset with keeping my files, reset without keeping my files and finally a completely wipe of all my drives and reinstalling Windows fresh
4. Updates: All Windows updates up to today have been installed and uninstalled
5. CPU Throttling: Disabled and enabled
6. SFC: Done, sometimes finds something corrupted and fixes it. Other times it doesn't
7. Disk error checks on both the SSD and HDD
8. Changing power plan to performance and back
9. Disabling power management on the network card
10. Disable and enabled high precision event
11. Updates BIOS to the latest version from the manufacturer
12. Installed and uninstalled my Antivirus (Kaspersky)
13. Using Windows without Internet (adapter disabled, cable plugged out) just to see if it changes anything

14. Uninstalling the network adapter driver and reinstalling it OFFLINE to prevent Windows from replacing it

If the ethernet cable isn't plugged in and the adapter is disabled, ndis.sys no longer shows up as the culprit but 2-3 others including wdf01000.sys / nvlddmkm.sys / dxgkrnl.sys

This tells me the network driver or adapter isn't the issue, something is faulty and is causing this latency but apparently even Windows isn't sure? For the record they are the EXACT same latency issues regardless of what driver is causing them so I take it the reporting is not exactly accurate.

I somehow managed to make it worse after trying a lot of the above, the spikes didn't cause lag anymore they straight up caused a BSOD saying ndis.sys was to blame because: IRQL_UNEXPECTED_VALUE

I seriously considered faulty hardware until I googled the issue for a week straight and noticed there are a ton of other people having issues extremely similar to mine, considering its mostly recent too I'm guessing a recent Windows update let us all down, again.

Continue reading...