Windows 10 High windows explorer cpu usage preventing window refresh and clean shutdown

• Thread starter Thread starter itsallgonepearshaped
  • Start date Start date
I

itsallgonepearshaped

Hi,

I have this issue across a custom built PC and a Windows dell xps laptop. At my wits end after a lot of fruitless google searching just basically says restart explorer (which is not possible as it hangs and is unresponsive)

Windows Explorer tops out at 20% consistently. Any windows I open up from explorer windows to control panel refuse to refresh properly after I've either deleted a file, created a file copied a file or updated a field.

Windows hangs on shutdown / restart (have left for a few hours), and the PC actually goes into hibernation mode on the shutdown and wakes up with a key press to continue hanging on shutdown.

I've reinstalled the PC and the issue went away for a week and is now back (nothing was installed on the day it came back apart from an auto update to Edge). I've uninstalled all non-required software and stripped it down to the bone. Disabled Windows Search, Windows Cortana and the issue remains.

I have a virus checker installed and have checked out both PC and Laptop.

I've updated Windows (on the PC) and updated the bios (on the PC) and the drivers on the laptop, everything is as up to date as I can make it, but the issue is still there.

It's not 20H2 because my laptop was not updated to this and it still is affecting the the laptop.

I've used process explorer and theres I can see linked to the process that would be causing this

I've stopped every service I can think of and it's still the same.

I can cope with the high cpu, but its the effect on using explorer and nothing refreshing.

Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back