Windows 10 How can I fix the 100% Disk Usage bug on Windows10 after trying several things? Help

• Thread starter Thread starter JoanaF16
  • Start date Start date
J

JoanaF16

For the past couple days I've noticed my computer stays at 100% Disk Usage throughout all it's use and this is making it slow. I've read that it is normal for computers to be 100% disk usage when it is being booted and that it should go down after 5 minutes, but in my computer it simply doesn't, it stays at 100% Disk Usage literally all the time. This happens if I have no applications running, if I only have a browser running or if I have several things running, always. I think this has been happening for a while but I didn't check the disk usage percentage before.

I've taken notes of all the steps I've taken in attempt to fixing this issue, as I listed down bellow. None of these things solved this bug or solved any performance issues and I really need help because it is making my computer slow and hard to use.

-- I went on Windows Update and downloaded all updates (there was one that had failed) - I left the computer alone making all these updates -, later, when I was using the computer, I got a major update that took 5 hours and several reboots to complete (I assume this is the most recent September update) - Windows 10 currently has all updates installed;

-- I made a Disk Check that came back with no erros found (the first time I tried it said there was an error and I had to reboot to fix the disk (which was sucessful), the second time the Disk Check said there were no errors found, like I said first);

-- I updated my anti-virus (I use Malwarebytes (which I updated) and Windows Security) and then ran a verification that came back saying the system is clean;

-- I disabled Windows Search - I've read it could improve the disk performance but it didn't solve anything;

-- I disabled SysMain using Windows PowerShell (Admin) and waited to see if it had any effect on disk usage, it didn't change anything;

-- I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player just to see, I read it could cause the 100% Disk Usage bug, but nothing has changed either;

-- I've read about the PCI-Express Firmware Bug and went on the Device Manager to check my AHCI Controller - I read that if the driver is listed as «C:\Windowsystem32\DRIVERStorahci.sys» I could be affected by that bug, but mine is listed as «C:\Windowsystem32\DRIVERS\iaStorAC.sys», so I just assumed that wasn't the case;

-- I tried disabling the Diagnostic Tracking in Windows 10 by using Command Prompt (Admin) - I typed «sc config "DiagTrack" start= disabled» and it came back as «SUCCESS» and then I typed «sc stop "DiagTrack"» and it said «FAILED 1062: The service wasn't started», so I'm not sure if it even worked in disabling it?

After disabling the Diagnostic Tracking in Windows 10 (or not, like I said, I'm not sure), I left my computer without anything opened, just the Task Manager. It sometimes went down to 50~% and was around 60~% and 70~% and occasionally went up again to more than 95%~100%, but just for a couple of seconds - then it went down to 50-70~%. However, as soon I opened a browser like Edge or Firefox (the only ones I use) with no other application running, the disk usage went up to 97~100% and stayed there.

-- I disabled the «Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows» option in Notifications & Actions on System Settings;

-- I tried to update the Storage Controllers through the Device Manager and it said it was already updated, so it asked me to go on Windows Update where I had a new update called KB4576478 (I don't know if this is related to driver updates, but I got this update anyway and rebooted the computer).

After the update I mentioned in the last point, the disk usage remained at 100% after the computer was booted and after I waited for it to resume booting (basically, it was at 100% disk usage at all times even with no applications running like I said at the start of the post). I rebooted the computer several times in between all the steps I listed here, and before doing all this I had disabled applications from starting when the computer is turned on on the Task Manager.

-- Once again I tried to update the Storage Controllers but this time I selected the «Browse my computer for driver software» option and then the «Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer» option - it said the drivers were sucessfully installed and then I rebooted the computer once again.

After all this, the issue remains. I don't know what else to do (or if I've done anything wrong) and I've been trying to fix it all day with several reboots in between each step. Nothing has changed.

Thank you and I really hope someone can help me.

Continue reading...

Back