How can I report a false positive for a site Windows Defender lists as unsafe?

• Thread starter Thread starter SynchroM
  • Start date Start date
S

SynchroM

I have a domain that is triggering warnings in Windows Defender, saying "This website has been reported as unsafe. We recommend that you do not proceed to this website. it has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information." This is blatantly untrue - this domain serves only 2 things: images and redirects. At no point is any personal data captured. The site contains no forms or HTML at all, does not set any cookies, and has a very strict TLS configuration (better than this site, for example). It's possible that a redirect could end up pointing at some other site that is malicious - but that site should be blocked by Defender, not mine. Google, Microsoft & twitter domains do exactly the same thing - but they are not blocked, even if they redirect to the same places.

I've not found any registry where I can check a site's status in Windows Defender (as I can for example on any blacklists, which the site does not appear on). I do not have a Windows computer, but all of the mechanisms I've found for reporting a false positive are only available from Windows. How can I check and report as safe a site that has been listed incorrectly?

Continue reading...

Back